Installation time: 5 minutes.
Google Analytics for a website is what an engine is for a car, or what internet is for Facebook. It is crucial to now in what way you need to present your website. You can never create a website without knowing what your visitors are interesting in. And if you know how your visitors behave by time spent on the site, the most popular pages they visit or if you have new or returning visitors – I see it as solid gold.. This is important information for every business today.
In this post you are going to learn how to install a small, tiny and simple bit of code and start measuring your website, easy peasy. Welcome!
5 insanely easy steps:
- First you need to visit Google Analytics to create an account (Gmail) if you don’t already have one.
- When signed in you need to fill in Account name, URL and other information in order to access the Google Analytics code snippet.
- If you need to get the code again: Go to Admin and from the Property column you will find Tracking info > Tracking code.
- Copy the whole code snippet.
- Paste into your websites <head>. Done!
Code snippet <script>awesome GA-code</script>:
Install Google Analytics for WordPress users
It depends on your WordPress theme where you need to paste this code snippet into your site. Check your Theme options. If your theme don’t support any own code sections you need to either implement the code snippet through FTP or equivalent or install a plugin. I don’t like plugins because it could slow your site down, but if you really need one try Insert Headers and Footers, it works great on one of my other sites. Place the code snippet in the <head> section.
Check your GA account and start collecting data. And remember this is just the beginning of your journey to something bigger. If you have any questions about the installation or anything else in this subject just tweet me or ask below.
Did you like this? Brag to your colleagues about your new skill and share it!